Mexican food is definitely one of my favorite cuisines, plus running in my blood I think that it's always fun and creative! One of our favorite go-to's for sure. In today's recipe I wanted to give it a little fun twist, a fusion of two amazing cultures in a simple and delicious tasting dinner or lunch recipe.
Cordon bleu has origins in France and according to the history of Cordon Bleu, it was really a reference to special group of French knights. Now it's a very common recipe that consists on breaded chicken with Swiss cheese and a slice of ham.
As I said previously this is my twist of the recipe, I got inspired by these two delicious recipes. I explosion of delicious flavors and a very easy way to step up the game of the typical plain chicken breast.
I have been honestly obsessed with my air fryer ever since I got it, probably 5 months ago, and have been using it non-stop for some reasons:
- No messy pans or skillets
- Crispy chicken with a juicy center!
One of my biggest and one of my go-to recipes is air fried chicken with green salsa. The perks of being Mexican or probably one of the things of being Mexican is that you always... ALWAYS have different salsas on stock. In our home, green salsa y the most used one, for sure!
So firstly I cooked my chicken in pieces with some of the store-bought salsa (we use the brand Herdez and you can also find it on Sprouts or Wal-Mart), just make sure you read the ingredients because some brands add unnecessary oils and sugars to them. Honestly, why though!? So check those ingredients before you buy them.
I usually like my chicken to be nice and crispy on the side and juicy on the inside. So my method is to cook it for 35 minutes at 400F (go hard or go home!).
Finally you can add the sliced ham of preference (also read ingredients!) and the cheese you like, I'm not super super strict about the recipe. I suggest you and encourage you to use the ingredients you already have in stock. I use mozzarella cheese for example and not Swiss Cheese as the original Cordon Bleu recipe says.
How long did it took me? Probably 45 minutes, total! Counting preparation, cleaning and the serving process. Pretty good, don't you think? You can also leave some for the rest of the week in a glass container inside your fridge.
- The green salsa makes sure to prevent any dryness! So be generous.
- Add sliced ham and cheese at the end.
- Serve hot.
- Use the cheese you prefer.
Ready to start cooking? Let's get started! I will also include a skillet method on the recipe!
Check out more dinner ideas!
- Turkey Meatzzas Four Ways
- Italian Rainbow Chicken Skillet
- Broccoli Italian Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Spinach Salmon Skillet
Green Salsa Cordon Bleu Chicken
By Maria Fernanda López
- 4 skinless chicken breast
- 2/3 cup of green salsa
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 4 slices of ham
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp of sea salt
-1 tsp of black pepper
1. Cook the chicken with green salsa and lemon juice until it's fully cooked.
1. Preheat the air fryer at 400F. for 5 minutes.
2. In aluminum foil add the chicken in pieces, salt, lemon juice, black pepper and salsa.
3. Cook for 35 minutes.
4. Top with sliced ham and cheese. Melt in the microwave or oven.
5. Serve and ENJOY!
This post contains affiliate links.