- Maria Fernanda López
Low Carb Pumpkin Empanadas (Dairy Free)
I believe that recipes can also be part of special memories. I heard a few years ago in a podcast that our favorite foods and comfort foods are the ones that have a good memory with them. In this case, pumpkin empanadas! Here's my little story:
When I was in elementary school, we did an annual trip to a cornmaze pumpkin patch. We always grabbed a pumpkin and personally we didn't know what to do with them, so my mom came up with the brilliant idea to make empanadas.
At that time I wasn't a fan of pumpkin but I loved to cooked and my mom wanted to do those empanadas. It was our first time ever baking some from scratch so that part was exciting, the result was amazing! It turned out that I loved pumpkin empanadas, or maybe I felt in love with the process of baking with my mom something new.
Now, I'm creating this paleo version! Which is also SUPER exciting, and I'm so happy to share this memory and this recipe with all of you.
This version of empanadas is based on my original version, check my Paleo Cream Cheese Empanadas Here. So this recipe is also low carb and paleo, no dairy to gluten involved, no inflammatory sugars and all the deliciousness.
The filling of them is of course, pumpkin with a hint of fall spices (ginger, clove and cinnamon), And please don't be fooled by the name or the appearance, they are easier to make than they look. And they are just the perfect pair for a cozy latte or coffee!
This recipe only makes three big empanadas so maybe a double batch won't be a bad idea, trust me on this!
Let's get started! Preheat your oven!
Here are more recipes!
- Pumpkin Caramel Pound Muffins
- Seed Cycling Bites 2.0 (Flax and Pumpkin)
- Golden Milk Chocolate Chip Donuts
Low Carb Pumpkin Empanadas
By María Fernanda López
Serves 3 big ones
- 1/2 cup of almond flour
- 1/2 cup of pea protein*
- 3 Tbsp of coconut flour
- 2 tsp of xantam gum
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of monk fruit (PURELYHL for discount)
-1/4 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree
- 3 Tbsp of monk fruit
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of ginger
- 1/8 of clove
1. In a mixing bowl add the dry ingredients.
2. Add egg, apple cider vinegar and water if needed.
3. Mix with your hands or in a food processor until the dough sticks all together.
4. In a plastic paper wrap, wrap all the dough and place it in the fridge for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile prepare the filling by mixing the ingredients listed for the filling.
6. Preheat the oven at 350F.
7. Once the dough is ready, take it out of the fridge and using the same plastic I used to cover them I roll them out with my hands creating a circle
8. Once the dough was nicely spreader I added the pumpkin mix.
9. I took one side of the plastic and fold the dough in half covering the center, creating a half moon shape.
10. With my fingers I pressed the surface from the dough making sure it was sealed.
11. Place your empanadas in a non stick baking tray and bake for 22 minutes.
Nutritional Information (per serving) 265 kcal
This post contains affiliate links.
#paleorecipe #lowcarbempanadas #empanadas #pumpkinempanadas #grainfree #lowcarbdessert #keto #highproteindessert #glutenfree #fallrecipes #healthyrecipes